DirectX encountered an unrecoverable error can also appear in Russian: “An unrecoverable DirectX error has been detected” is the same thing. Almost always appears in Call of Duty: Warzone, Modern Warfare, but is also found in other versions of the game. The operating system is not so important, it can be either Windows 7 or Windows 10. It also follows that the problem is not related to system damage, but to the problem of game files. Now we will take a closer look at the results of our study of user reports and with a high degree of probability you will find your solution here.
Conventionally, there can be 4 main reasons:
- Damage to game files is the most common situation.
- DirectX 12 hardware support is missing or unstable on your system - often.
- The problem of scaling video content to the screen is less common.
- The rest: drivers, DirectX crashes, etc. - even rarer than the rest.
How to fix the error?
We recommend sticking to the following sequence of actions, since quite a lot of users on the forums and under various videos (more than 10 people) mentioned its effectiveness. This way you will find the problem faster. Just a request right away - if you manage to fix the DirectX encountered an unrecoverable error in Call of Duty, you will write which method worked. This will help other readers as well.
Corrective action flow: "fatal DirectX error detected":
- Clean up custom game files that may not work properly. You should start with the folder players with all its contents, which is located in Documents in the Call of Duty directory of the corresponding version of the game.
- Delete and restore game files. Our goal is to delete a significant part of the files, including those with configs, and then restore them. To do this, in the Blizzard launcher, in the section with the game, click on "Options" and open the location of the game ("Open in Explorer"). In the main directory with the game, for example, in Call of Duty Modern Warfare, we delete all files (namely, we don’t touch the folders). Then, next to the "Play" button, click on the gear and select "Check and Repair".
- Forced switch to DirectX 11 mode. To do this, in the section with Call of Duty, click on the gear icon next to the start button and launch the "Game Settings". Set the "Additional command line arguments" flag and enter -d3 d11 there. Save changes and start the game.
- Editing the registry. Navigating to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/PROTOCOLS/Filter/ and deleting the folder called text/xml might work.
We can also try to return the display scaling to 100%. This method is often recommended, but it is not known exactly how it works. If you have any useful information about the DirectX encountered an unrecoverable error in Call of Duty, please write about it in the comments. So you will earn plus in karma.